View Single Post
      03-22-2024, 04:19 PM   #13
LivNLearn
Rep
Drives: 2016 M235i xDrive 1997 Z3

Quote:
Originally Posted by M3SQRD View Post
I’m trying to visualize what you’re doing…are you compressing the spring and damper piston when you’re prying or is the spring/piston not compressing and moving the same amount as the strut body? The strut top mount bearing design isn’t the best.

However, it’s a good time to replace the oem top mounts with a set of street camber plates. Vorshlag, Ground Control and Millway make camber plates that work with stock springs. If you’re not tracking your car, Millway makes a street version that should not increase NVH at all, allow you to properly align front camber (same value left and right or increase it to something reasonable around -2.5 deg), and eliminate a common issue.
I'm compressing the spring/piston when prying upward. There's an inch of play before it meets any resistance and contact noise when the compression begins and ends at the end of travel each way.

I just replaced the struts on a friend's Prius that had the same symptoms and all noise is gone now that they're were swapped out.

Agreed on swapping out the mounts when I do the struts assuming that these adaptive struts aren't supposed to do this. I can't imagine they would but am not 100% sure.
Appreciate 0