Captain
United_States
Rep
Drives: '15 M235i

Garage List
2015 BMW M235i  [0.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by mdputnam View Post
Just adding my rant here (ie no info of any value). You have paid almost (or more than) $50,000 for the "Ultimate Driving Machine" whether you use it or not, you should at least have a differential as good as the one found in a Nissan Juke RS! .

To quote ERIC TINGWALL's Car and Driver Article:
"We should note the distinction between the differentials we’re discussing here and brake-based torque vectoring, the dollar-store variety that’s increasingly found on economy cars and crossovers. Brake-based systems selectively squeeze individual brake calipers to slow the inside wheels and increase torque to the outside wheels in turns. Automakers use this setup because it’s lighter and cheaper than ponying up for the more complex hardware while still creating a useful yaw moment. But it doesn’t take a race engineer to recognize the paradox in using the brakes to go faster."

OK, I'll crawl back into my hole now and shut up.
McLaren would disagree with you. The 650S, 675LT, and P1 have open differentials -- they use brake based torque vectoring only. A much better version than most cars, but still, brake based torque vectoring.