View Single Post
      04-23-2024, 05:42 PM   #29
dradernh
Brigadier General
Rep
Drives: 2017 M240i

Quote:
Originally Posted by leftoverture View Post
Interestingly, that site forces you to enter all your private contact info on order to offer the free opt out service. Makes me think I'm trading one beast for another
My understanding of their explanation for that is without it they can't provide the data collectors with the specifics necessary so they can confirm that it's a legitimate request coming through.

I don't know...I'll add to the thread if my life is suddenly turned upside down.

Quote:
Originally Posted by albertw View Post
On my new Blackwing (which I pick up tomorrow - probably my last post here) the consensus on the forums is that the OnStar module can be disconnected from the antenna easily with no ill effects. However, it's not clear how long the module retains data it receives, which might be downloaded when the dealer hooks the car up to GM before doing any service. The cable from the car can also be disconnected or the entire module can be removed (it's in the trunk) and apparently the car still works fine. Since I don't want or need any service or snooping from OnStar, I plan to remove the module.

It might be worth trying to find out whether the snooping hardware in the 2-series is accessible and whether it can be disabled or removed. If I were keeping the 240i that's what I would be looking into.
You may find this piece by a GM Chevy Bolt-owning reporter worth a read: https://www.nytimes.com/2024/04/23/t...a-consent.html.

P.S. Congrats on getting the Blackwing(!), and please come back at least once to share with us your experiences with it.

Quote:
Originally Posted by freakystyly View Post
Pretty much this...
Don't sync your phone to your car is one major point I got from that site. I don't use a smartphone and haven't sync'd my flip phone, but my thought as I absorbed that idea was: "Hey, I think that horse left the barn years ago now."

Last edited by dradernh; 04-23-2024 at 05:51 PM..
Appreciate 0