View Single Post
      01-16-2018, 12:59 PM   #8
XutvJet
Major General
Rep
Drives: 2011 Cayman Base, 2016 M235

I've owned my M235 6MT (moonroof delete) for two years now. I haven't added any power mods yet. I wanted to fully understand and get used to the dynamics and power of the car and let the motor fully break in. Right now, what I want most is a the M Performance LSD.

My lightweight M235 should easily do low 13s 108-110mph in the 1/4 mile on street tires. There are some occasions where a little extra power would be nice, but overall, this is a pretty quick and fast car, even by today's standards.

What I like about the stock power is it's general tractability and usability on the street. I feel like I can use most of the power on the street without getting in way over my head and that's what makes the car fun. Sure, you can buy a new V8 Camaro or Mustang and easily outrun these cars, but you can't effectively use all that power on the street.

As I've grown older, I've learned that it's far more fun to drive a slow car fast and such cars are far more fun on the street which is where I spend 99% of my time. I used to be obsessed with power and how fast the other guy is. Those days are LONG gone. I don't give a crap about how fast the other guy is or that I could buy a faster car for less money. I'm not interested. I'm more interested in driving fun, improving dynamics, improving sound, and improving looks.

If i want as substantially faster car then I'll buy one. There's just WAY too much compromise when you try to add 20%+ more power to a car. Been there, done that.

Power wise, I feel like all my car needs is maybe 30-50whp/wtq to be just right and that power needs to be delivered in a similar OEM fashion. I was interested in the Dinan Stage II piggyback since it seems to add the most linear power, but now the flash tuning is taking off and I'll likely go that route once I decide it's a reliable option. I really hope Cobb jumps on board as I really like the Accessport on my prior 2012 WRX hatchback. I've also played around with the idea of buying the Dinantronics Sport Tuner and running it in the 2psi gain setting and adding a high quality catted downpipe.