View Single Post
      06-04-2014, 03:29 PM   #94
bradleyland
TIM YOYO
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2013 M3

Garage List
The distinction between an M Performance car and an M car is a subtle one. I don't expect that most people will know the differences, much less extract any benefit from said differences. Also subtle is the difference between getting 100% of the performance of an M3 and getting 100% of the handling of an M3. These are very different things. Performance is the specification of how well a car can accomplish acceleration and road holding tests. Handling is how a car feels when you do it.

I have the benefit of having recently test driven an M235i a couple of times before deciding to do a lease assumption on a 2013 M3. Ultimately, I decided on the M3 because of two factors: performance aside, the V8 is attractive to me because of the experience (sound and throttle response); and the difference in handling between the two cars is apparent to me, even on the street. The M3 is sharper. Despite being heavier, the body moves around less and the turn-in is more direct. Combine that with the throttle response and the sound of the V8 and you have a distinct experience compared to the M235i (which definitely has its own merits with regard to handling).

That is, in my mind, the distinction between an M Performance car and an M car. The M car is more focused; it delivers handling that is less compromised than an M Performance car. This focus does not come without cost though. The M235i has definite up sides, and I'm certain I would not have been unhappy with one.

When cost is factored in, I'll admit that I am a little bit embarrassed to have chosen the E92 M3. It wasn't a rational decision. The improvement in handling isn't justifiable for the driving that I do, but sometimes we do unjustifiable things for the experiences we value most deeply. That's every individuals' decision.

I really don't understand the apprehension around the introduction of the M Performance line-up though. It is not simply a nameplate. I drove a 135i for three years, and I loved it when I had it, but the M235i is a superior handling car. It might be argued that the car could have just as easily been sold with an 'is' name plate, but I rather like the idea of M Performance instead of 'is'. I know that the 'is' designation has a long history with BMW, dating back to the 80s, but it doesn't have the same weight as M Performance.

IMO, this is one of those changes that can be seen from a glass half-empty or half-full perspective. For M conservatives, it dilutes the M brand. For M liberals, it expands the line-up, making M-branded cars more accessible. I understand the concern for the former, but ultimately, it's just the brand that is at risk, provided M GmbH keeps turning out superlative M-cars. The benefit of the latter is something I'm glad that people will be able to experience. As an enthusiast, it warms my heart when I hear about people who are happy with their car. If that means making M Performance models, then great. I'm thrilled that more people will be driving something they love.
Past: 2010 135i - TiAg Coral Red 6MT ///M-Sport
Appreciate 0