04-05-2015, 09:12 PM   #4
Thescout13
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep
Drives: '20 F80 M3CS, %E2%80%9818 GT3

Quote:
Originally Posted by 1Mike1
A few days short of being a whole year old, and on my way home (about 2~ hours into the drive) cruising down about 65~ when all of a sudden I feel the acceleration just "stop" and hear the now fear inducing little "ding."

I thought it was just a flat tire or something, oh how I wish it was... as quick as I got a chance to react, I look at it and see "Drive Train Malfunction". And I see the car's been thrown into Neutral while im on the interstate. Thanks BMW. I pull off to the side and now im very thankful I put enough distance because after I turned my car off in hopes that it would turn on and all would be resolved, nope.

I press the button, engine starts cranking... and it's cranking... and it's not turning over... and then it's rumbling... anddd it's off. Ok.. weird. Let's try again. press and hold the button, foot on the break... cranking... cranking.. oh wait it sounds like it's going to turn over.... it does?... rumble... rumble harder.. shake.. and dead.

Running off battery power, I try checking any information the car has for me, nothing. "All systems OK" I opened the hood, gave it a quick glance, belt looked fine, nothing seemed out of place, no extra heat or smoke, nothing seemed odd about under the engine, the car had 3/4ths of a tank of gas before I left, I filled it myself from half. Googled the issue, did some research, tried waiting 15-30 mins.. crank.. crank.. its alive?... drive..? ...rumble.. rumble.. shake.. die. Dead 40 miles outside of a town, 120 miles outside of my destination.

$250 towing bill that I had to pay instead of BMW because they can't actually tow me off the interstate.. And when we finally got to the BMW location, we almost could not get the car to get back into neutral because the engine has to be on and eventually it wouldn't even do that.

Now my car won't even be looked at until tomorrow morning 4/5 because of Easter, there was no rain or precipitation, car literally had it's 7-8k mile inspection a month or two ago, and the weather was about 40~34 F.
I'm just insanely disappointed this happened on a 340~ day old car, with less than 9k miles on it. It was my baby and now my spring break is ruined too.

tl;dr engine failure on a car with 9k miles, and less than a year old.
Wow I feel for you. Have this fear everyday after reading up on the 3 series forums.

Keep us updated to what it is and if it was even preventable.

Good luck
Wife's Prior Car: 2018 F80 M3, Yas Marina Blue, DCT, Black 19s, Carbon Structure Anthracite Cloth/Leather Combination, Driving Assistance Package (Euro Delivery Oct. 9, 2017)
Appreciate 0