06-24-2014, 06:50 AM   #11
MikeG12
First Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2020 X3M40, 2000 Z3M, 2017 X1

Quote:
Originally Posted by hoyasaxa View Post
It's faster. It's quieter. The steering feels tighter. The transmission is at least as good as the DSG and the gearing is better (especially the additional two gears 7th and 8th). Consumption is better. I will say that I am not sold that the quality of interior materials is better. My GTI is an Autobahn package, and I am pretty happy with the build quality of the GTI. The infotainment /iDrive is way better than the GTI, but this is also a newer car. However, comparing iDrive to the US-poverty-spec infotainment in the MKVII, the BMW wins.

Biggest differences between the BMW and the GTI are the suspension and power delivery. In those two areas, the BMW is clearly better. I actually think the MKVI GTI is a great car, though, so it's hard to bash it. It was also over $10k less, comparably equipped.
I had a Gen V GTI before getting the 228 and the previous comments are very accurate. The GTI was a very good car but aimed toward the practical side. The 228 is much faster and aimed toward the sports side. It has a distinct BMW character to it and compares well to my E36 M3.
Appreciate 0