View Single Post
      03-21-2014, 10:28 AM   #91
stylinexpat
Major
Rep
Drives:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Paul-Bracq-BMW
This comparison from the german magazine "Autobild" is a little more telling: the Porsche Cayman S VS the M235i, and the Porsche won by... 2 points!

Translation excerpts (sorry if not exact...):

How much Porsche is the BMW?

The Cayman in our opinion maintains the Classic Porsche virtues: compact, lightweight and with the potent boxer engine from the 911. The 3.4-liter six-cylinder delivers 325 hp, and 370 Nm at 4500 rpm. The PDK seven-speed
Dual-clutch transmission is available for 2826 euros and adaptive dampers
for 1428 euros.

Does BMW even has a chance to win against it? The bavarian manufacturer (almost) pulled out all the stops with the new 2-series. The coupe version of the 1's Series has a likeable size and looks dazzling. It reminds you of the 02 Series from the 70's. And for the M235i, the top model of the range, BMW has sharpened the looks even more. Its 3-liter inline six-cylinder engine produces 326 bhp and 450 Nm at a low at 1300 Rpm. Transmission is the splendid eight-speed Sport Automatic made by ZF (2250 euros option), and the car has 18-inch wheels, sport-steering and brakes. Options are the adaptive suspension (760 Euro) and limited-slip differential (2890 euros, installation about 235 Euros). The M235i is comes to the competition prepared. And it shots like a catapult: with Launch Control (race-start function) it tears smoothly in 5 seconds from 0-100-km/h, slightly above the factory specification of 4.8 seconds. The double-scroll turbocharged Three liters pushes early and powerfully then turns wild... but always maintaining the classic in-line six cylinder howl. The eight-speed automatic reacts incredibly quickly, especially on Sport or Sport +. This engine and this gearbox, we can not write it often enough, are one of the best drive packages ever.

But then the Cayman S does the same feat in 4.6 seconds to 100 (also with Launch Control). The free-breathing 3.4-liter boxer needs higher Rpm's to deliver its power, but turns even wilder than the BMW, with amazing response. The engine sounds harder and more metallic than the 2 series, and makes the car much more alert. The seven-speed PDK reacts extremely quickly and in sports and Sport Plus mode, even increase the shifts speeds to lightning fast. Lovely, too, is the throttle blip when downshifting. On the dry handling course, a demanding, 3800 meter track, the Porsche sets a time of 1:34,23 minutes, which is only slower than the best 10 cars ever measured there. The car moves, especially in sport plus mode, as if it has sharpened senses, responsive and snappy. The steering obeys the smallest imputs and the Cayman turns sharply. One striking characteristic: the excellent traction in any situation. Of course, the mid-engine layout puts more weight on the driven rear axle. The axle load distribution is at 44:56. The BMW with its front-engine, has a F/R ratio of 52:48 and cannot put its power on the asphalt quite as well. It laps the track in 1:36,53 minutes - more than two seconds slower than the Porsche.

To avoid any misunderstanding, the BMW has a fine handling, a finely tuned steering and sensitively tuned ESP. It is only it is not as focused as the Porsche. And it weighs 1559 kilos: 130 more than the Cayman (1429 kilos). On the other hand, the BMW can carry 2 more passengers , which is impossible with the Porsche.

This Cayman S test car with optional equipments (amongst others, Sport Chrono Package at 2023 Euro, locking rear differential at 1309 Euro, 20-inch wheels at 1428 euros) costs 73,394 euros. A difference of more than 23,000 euros versus the BMW (49,650 euros), which is the price of a hot hatch!

Conclusion:
The Cayman S has the classic virtues of the Porsche brand: low weight, snappy engines and agile handling. And just because the Cayman S shows the M235i its limits, it's still one razor-sharp compact coupe. The Porsche is simply a flawless athlete.
I like my new Cayman S. I just wish I had more leg room,seats could tilt a few more degrees backwards,and wish it had less blind spots/better rear vision.

In a BMW you turn your head back once and you have a very clear rear view of what is behind you and to the side/rear of you while in the Caymans S you need to look back and turn your head back a good 5 times to make sure all the blindspots are covered.
Appreciate 0