View Single Post
      04-14-2024, 10:38 PM   #5
fiveightandten
Private
Rep
Drives: F22 M235, E36 M3, E30 325, E90

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hapbob View Post
I tried the clay bar and still have the streaks. I am guessing is some sort of Ceramic coating that wasn't put on great or its been there a long time. Its a 2018 car. I am going to take to a detailer to get estimate to strip it down to paint and I just want to wax it.
Nothing I tried touches the problem.
Hap
There are products specifically designed to strip products off the paint; both car wash concentrates and spray on/wipe off products. Of course, a ceramic coating is designed to hold up against this, but I'd start by chemically attacking it with a car wash designed to strip. Then wipe the car down with a 50/50 mix of iso-propyl alcohol and water. This will minimize the mechanical work you need to do.

After that, you'll need to attack it mechanically, as you've tried. But be aware that you're removing a solid. So what happens is it will load up onto the polishing pad that you're using. Then you're just grinding it into the paint, which can introduce more imperfections. The key here is controlling the contamination on the pad to avoid that. Use some compressed air to blow the dust off the pad often.

What kind of polisher, pad, and product have you been using to try and remove this?
Appreciate 0