ckfraser
Enlisted Member
Canada
Rep
Drives: '14 M235i (MR)

Garage List
2014 BMW M235i  [0.00]
Unhappy OEM Michelin Pilot Super Sports wearing early

I'm wondering if anyone else has had this issue. My car is almost at 21,000 kilometres (~13,000 miles), and the front tires are wearing at the edges early. The tires are the stock staggered Pilot Super Sports, 225 section in the front, and 245s at the back. The car isn't an xDrive model, just RWD.

The wear seems to be at the nose of the tire (photos below). I stay pretty well on top of tire pressure, and the alignment doesn't feel like it's off. My reaction was there's a bit of positive camber causing the uneven wear. When I brought the car to my local BMW dealership, they said, "that's just how the cars are set up," and that it's normal for the front tires to wear that way.

Judging from Michelin's warranty, they should be a 86% of the tread life. Obviously I don't expect them to be in new shape, but I thought the wear would be a bit more even. The only even thing is that the nose wear is happening on the outside edges on both front tires. As a result, I feel like I have to change out the tires sooner than I was hoping. I know these tires are a soft compound with a short lifetime, but it feels a bit too short. There's also still plenty of tread on the rear tires. Let me know if I'm just crazy.

Also, it's worth mentioning that I bought in to 2 years of the Rim and Tire Protection. It expires this August and I've never claimed a cent from it (it was a mistake buying it in the first place). I guess I do well at dodging nails and potholes. The warranty doesn't cover wear, but I'm wondering if maybe BMW Canada could wiggle on that.
Attached Images

Appreciate 0