View Single Post
      06-11-2014, 07:21 AM   #82
bman6074
Major
Rep
Drives: 14 M235i and 07 Lotus Exige S

Quote:
Originally Posted by mjposner View Post
nachob comment was directed at me, and i will respond, though I also agree with bradleyland. First, I don't keep cars for 5 or 10 years so the overheating issues at 80k miles do not affect me. Second, while I prefer a full suite of gauges, it is not a deal breaker for me. I monitor what I need through my cell phone (and I am 53 so if i can do anyone can). The bottom line is that BMW sells cars and in car sales I guarantee you that no oil dipstick or temp gauge cracks the top 50 of what buyers want. So they are removed for efficiency sake (and once less hole in an engine has to ai in design/manufacturing.

That said, any car I own that I wanted to keep long term, I would simply add any gauge I wanted, not hard or expensive. My Corvair, which has two idiot lights had a broken cylinder head thermister, so I got another one and installed it myself so I could monitor head temp. If I ever tracked my 235i I would add whayt I needed.

Finally this argument that I need a temp gauge to know when I can redlline and drive fast is idiotic. Wait ten minutes, the car does have a clock in case you need a gauge to tell you that.
I think most of want a temp gauge for just knowing the health of our cars. I think most in this thread specifically are guys who DIY. So being able to keep an eye on the health of your car is a feature we have come accustom to. Now i agree with you, one can use there phone with a Bluetooth ODB connection or get a separate temp gauge.
My question is why does one model get the temp gauge and another doesn't. Just very curious to what the engineer/designers where thinking when deciding not to have a temp gauge or any other gauges for that matter.
If there was no temp gauge across the models then i would say ok hopefully technology is taking care of it.