View Single Post
      06-10-2014, 05:24 PM   #78
bman6074
Major
Rep
Drives: 14 M235i and 07 Lotus Exige S

Quote:
Originally Posted by danimal View Post
In my E90, it definitely lets me check the reading while in motion. That said, it's perfectly possible it just saves the reading from the last time the car was stopped and level.

The fact that you have to drive the car around for a few minutes before you can get a reading is definitely not great, but I don't think the point of the feature is to tell you that your oil is too low to safely run the engine. It's to tell you that it's time to add a quart. I assume (hope?) an idiot light would turn on if the oil pressure were severely low.

Also, I always figured the electronic method was more reliable than the dipstick method, since the conditions of the measurement are pretty consistent (warmed up engine + engine running). With a dipstick, you can get a different reading depending on whether you check your oil when the engine is cold vs. warmed up.
mmm i thought the dipstick was designed to check the oil cold so you know how much you have put into the car or what was needed. I never checked the oil while the engine was running with a dipstick. It was used for a measurement when the oil was all back in the oil pan.
How does the electronic work? What is it measuring as if the car is running the oil is being pumped through the engine and not all in the oil pan anymore.