02-01-2014, 12:26 PM   #106
Greenkirby21
Vrooom :)
United_States
Rep
Drives: C7 Stringray

Quote:
Originally Posted by GolfProGiff View Post
I was told the factory at Leipzig cannot do that. That all perf parts will be done at port or dealer. I know your waiting for port but I'm not sure they will ever be done at factory.
Do I have unrealistic fears of dealer install vs port? I don't trust my dealer to wash my car in fear of swirl marks. A bit nervous to have them install all the extra bits I'd like. Is that why you are waiting Greenkirby?
I dunno. I understand that the parts are not installed at factory, but rather in the port, but my dealership said there is no way of making the car "stop" at port. All options must be specified at the time the car is built from factory. (i.e. he said if someone changed their mind while the car is on the boat and does want a performance part, they don't have a way of telling people at port to add the part).

I am waiting because of the following:

1) Port installed options show up on the car's sticker, so they keep the 4 year warranty. Dealer installed parts only carry a 2 year warranty. Not that I expect anything to go wrong, but good to know.

2) Port installed is much cheaper then dealership installed. I remember someone posting on 1 addicts that the M performance suspension labor costs was more then the parts of themselves (1,500 at port vs 3,000 at dealership once you include labor fees).

On pieces such as CF mirrors, CF diffuser, CF spoiler, I'd rather much go aftermarket for 1/2 the price. I have a CF spoiler that cost me 180$, perfect fitment, and after 3 years has no signs of turning yellow.

So really, port installed I prefer the more complex parts (such as the LSD or M brakes, M suspension). Since no news of the LSD has been announced, I have no idea as to how complex the install is. Things such as the BMW performance exhaust is generally cheaper to buy from people like dan@unitedbmw, and get installed vs port.