09-04-2016, 11:27 AM   #78
Diver
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep
Drives: Black '12 135i - Sold

Quote:
Originally Posted by zenmaster View Post
The thing is, you simply don't have to track an M car to enjoy the immensely improved handling benefits in daily driving.

Coming from a 3-series Msport, the M235i's default steering feels too loose, and its impossible to change it without also going to sport mode. The M235i's 18" wheels need to be wider. Even though the car is a little lighter, the suspension setup, even in sport mode, is not as good as the 3-series - feels like the center of gravity is actually higher in the M235i which is a bad thing.

The one thing I don't like about the auto transmissions is the useless way the car keeps the RPMs high after applying throttle. When throttle is completely let off after hard acceleration, the car should upshift at least after a second. I realize this can be overcome with paddles, but BMW really should do something about how long it sticks the engine in high RPM - it's comical and obnoxious.
I agree with you about the tires being too small. The transmission behavior you mention did not happen on the many loaners I drove with the 8 speed. Go to the 1'er forum and read all the DCT complaints from hesitation to surging.

One sits higher in the 2er (and 1er) which gives the feeling of a higher cg.