View Single Post
      05-29-2016, 10:57 AM   #325
XutvJet
Major General
Rep
Drives: 2011 Cayman Base, 2016 M235

Quote:
Originally Posted by bradleyland View Post
OK, take a step back before you wade in to this discussion with blinders on. The E46 M3 might be the greatest BMW coupe ever, but that has nothing to do with what I'm saying. I've made a statement of fact, and backed it up with data.

Fact: The M235i is heavy for its size.

All the information I've provided is in the context of other cars that you provided. I think you thought you were making a point with that list, but it actually proves the opposite of what you said. You could look at that and think "Hey, the 2-series is heavier than I thought." Or you could think, "Wow, those other cars aren't as heavy as I thought." Or you can continue to look past the facts and bask in ignorance.

I'm not sure what point you're trying to make.

The M235i/M240i are great cars? Agreed.

The E46 M3 was a great car? Agreed.

The M235i/M240i are relatively heavy cars though. They're not exactly pigs, but they're marginally heavy when compared to the examples you provided.
Agree to disagree then. I'm far from a BMW or M235/240 nutswinger, but I'm also a realist because I know that in order for BMW to shed weight from the M235/240 will add a lot of expense to the car and reduce refinement. It is a sport luxury car after all thus there is an expectation for it to be vault-like and refined. With that comes with some extra weight. Also, the car was designed to be a convertible from the start which can add some weight to the lower portions of the unibody.

The M235/240 not a sports car like a Corvette or the like. Those cars specifically designed to be light 2 seaters with the use of expensive light weigh components, but even then, a Vette doesn't weigh a whole lot less than the M235/240. For it's "class", the M235/M240 comparatively light. A 3,400-3,500lb sports coupe is far from heavy these days and the M235/M240 simply does a better job of managing it's empty voids in the chassis and excessive overhangs. There's simply very little wasted space. It makes absolutely no sense to me how a current gen Mustang which is heavier, much larger on the outside, and yet smaller on the inside isn't considered too heavy by your calculations.

You do realize that most 2 seat supercars are much heavier than the M235/M240, right?
Appreciate 0