View Single Post
      06-15-2014, 09:31 PM   #132
RPM90
Major General
Rep
Drives: 340i M-sport AT

Quote:
Originally Posted by SlowSaloonM3 View Post
i have no problem with this car...in fact i think its the best looking car in the current fleet of bmws (m3/4 really isn't out yet for me)...and i agree it does have some serious performance.

but my statement to the original quoted poster of how bmw got what they wanted in his response, I still stand by - "sorry thats what its called and the M moniker will go with it", exactly what bmw planned to do, no differentiation in his post as long as it has an M.
I didn't take from his post the meaning you did.
I understood his comment to mean that BMW put the "M" in the cars name so there's nothing an M235i owner needs to do or explain.
The "M" is part of the name as BMW named it.
But I could be wrong.
Maybe we should ask the poster what he means by his post.

I think you're saying the BMW's marketing is trying to use the "M" cars reputation in order to create that association in some buyers minds.
So that they think that the "M" on their car actually means that the performance of their car is more associated to an actual M car and less with the regular variant.
If that is what you're saying, then I absolutely agree with that.

Just because the new M235i matches most of the performance parameters of former M cars, that still doesn't make an "M sport" more like an M and less like the standard model.
IMO, BMW have gone over board with how they place the "M" everywhere.
I understand that "M" is the high performance division like "RS" for Audi, "AMG" for MB, "SVT" for Ford, "TRD" for Toyota, etc...

But those letters stand for something and they mean a much greater level of performance over the regular line cars on which they are based.
What regular line of 235i is the M235i greater than?
Since they're going to throw around the "M" so easily, then why not an M228i?

M-sport is really not much more than cosmetics as it doesn't include higher performance parts or tuning above the "sport" variant.
I have a 335i Msport. The only difference between my Msport and a
335i sport is some body parts, different wheels, different steering wheel, an "M" footrest, and "M" graphic application in various places.
My Msport has no greater capability than the 335i sport.
The M235i doesn't even have a variant by which the "M" can be differentiated.

"Msport", and that's really what an M235i is, is actually a big let down in my 335i Mpsort. Msport, and sticking the "M" everywhere, means nothing in terms of greater performance.
It's mostly about appearance and it may come to bite them in the ass and below is some of the reason why I say this.

It's ridiculous to me that my 335i Msport actually has an "eco pro" mode.
Are you kidding? What in the world is going on that a driver, who wants the sportiest non M variant, has an "eco pro" mode that actually tunes DOWN the performance capability of the car?!?!?
Save a few miles per tankful? You paid for the highest non M performance level and now you want to save a few dollars per tankful?

Even "comfort" mode doesn't need to be there as it too is a detuned mode with a lower level of performance.
At the very least BMW should make it so that the driver mode defaults to sport mode on sport and Msport variants.
No, instead they stick an "M" in front of sport and then set the default mode to be below it's best performance capability.

You need to get back to, "The Ultimate Driving Machine", that's what your reputation was built on. You created that mantra and meant it as you also made cars that others in the same class couldn't beat in terms of driving performance.
I'll be test driving the 228i and M235i very soon.
I really hope it has that BMW magic I had in my E46 325i sport and 135i.
The 335i Msport I currently have has been a disappointment in terms of driving enjoyment. It's more of a big horse power appliance than,
"The Ultimate Driving Machine".

Wow that's a long rant.
I'll sit down now.
Appreciate 0