View Single Post
      06-15-2014, 07:51 PM   #129
RPM90
Major General
Rep
Drives: 340i M-sport AT

Quote:
Originally Posted by Agamemnon View Post
Well I have a 335i with the MPPK and an Akra exhaust which is pretty much the tune the M235i has. It is a lot faster than I ever thought it would be given the specs. There has been a lot of discussion on this forum and the general consensus is that BMW 6 cylinder engines are underrated.

The M235i is a sweet ride. Personally I don't agree with C & D statement about the 6 speed manual being the choice for enthusiasts. I used to love manuals but after owing the 8 speed ZF, I would never go back - it is perfectly suited to the drivetrain and shifts almost as quickly as a DCT. Sometimes you just have to accept progress. The DTM drivers prefer paddles - its quicker.
This has been argued and discussed over and over, over the years.
Dyno's show that the engines actually put out what they should and a bit more.
Conclusion by the pro's who know and test these things is that BMW engines are not "under rated", just properly rated.
When BMW rates an engines power then you'll get that power as a minimum, and most likely you'll get a bit more.
That's unlike other car makers who rate and claim power ratings that didn't come from the minimum but from the maximum engine, and the buyer will likely not get that power.

Plus, don't forget what the ZF 8AT does for the acceleration.
With 8 gears you can have shorter gearing or quicker acceleration, and couple that with lighting quick shifts, you get 0-60, 0-100, and 1/4 mile times that belie the power ratings and listed weight.
BMW does very well there and we drives of BMW's reap the benefits and rewards.
Appreciate 0