View Single Post
      06-09-2014, 10:43 AM   #119
Winoman
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2004 330 ZHP/2001 Audi S4, etc

Hi all - this is my first post - though been lurking for many months and I've already determined that an M235 (or possibly an M2...we'll see...) will be my next car. And it will definitely be via Euro Delivery.

Anyway - been following this thread...and while I understand that the 235 is not a "true" M - and understand the distinction....its clearly a worthy performance BMW in every sense and it certainly fills a needed niche for those of us interested in a performance car that's not a huge grand tourer like the 3/4 series has become and not a more or less track focused car like the M3/4 really are. Its relatively small and nimble with great power and some serious mod potential. Who can complain really. And the performance numbers and various reviews (C/D inflationary statistics understood) really makes the case. It will still be a few years (most likely) before I get one - but I'll be following the car closely in the meanwhile & that's just how I roll.

As for the "M" designation...(for what is truly not exactly an "M" car in the full sense) - well this is really nothing new. In 2004 I (Euro Delivery) purchased (and still own) a 330i ZHP 4 door sedan MT - called "performance package" here in the states. But the very same exact model was called the "M-Sport" in Europe. Anyway - those familiar with BMW understand the difference...but in the end what does it matter - a great car is a great car - and the 330i ZHP was - and still is a fantastic driving car that I will drive and enjoy for many years to come. As it is though it is pretty much my slowest or near such car (though it is not slow by any means)...and its actually my wife's daily driver. I daily drive (mostly now) a 2012 Volkswagen GTI with some very serious performance mods (engine & handling etc) - 420hp/~400lb/ft torque - as well as old (unreliable...but quite fun) 2001 Audi S4 Avant (also heavily modded) with around 450hp/450torque. Both of these vehicles are in the same performance league as the M235...if not a little stronger - depending on the specific performance aspects being considered. I also own an all original 1964 1/2 289 4 barrel Mustang Convertible (that runs great but may or may not be faster than our BMW). Anyway hello all and glad I finally signed up and I'm stoked about the 235 (regardless of what anyone calls it...)

Last edited by Winoman; 06-09-2014 at 10:49 AM..
Appreciate 0