06-08-2014, 01:16 PM   #5
Lynn_228i
AW BMW 228i with Black Dakota Leather Seats
United_States
Rep
Drives: BMW 228i

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sportstick View Post
Your advice is good for the type of driver I also perceive Lynn to be. However, these is one more issue to raise. Lynn, bring a tape measure out to the car with you and sit down in your normal driving position. Measure the distance from the surface of the steering wheel hub (the place where the air bag is stored....the surface you press for the horn), and measure from the hub straight back to your sternum (breastbone). Is at at least about 10 inches? Many folks your height sit too close to the steering wheel, and the risk is the air bag inflating up under your chin - very bad possible results (read about basilar skull fracture). The steering column is adjustable, but if your leg length doesn't allow you to move back far enough to achieve about 10" from steering wheel hub to your breastbone, you should consider pedal blocks.

And, no, 18" wheels do not make the car drive better, actually a slight bit worse, because they are heavier. People buy them for looks. Stick with 17".
Sportstick, I will try this out. I know when I had the Acura RSX (the car I hated and had for 8.25 years before I leased my BMW 128i - My head went into the donut in the sport seat when the young driver behind me floored her gas pedal at the light that just turned red thinking I would go through it.... I learned to look behind me also when making a decision now about going or stopping and to be sure head rests hit my head where they should like they do in my safe BMW 128i car), I sat too close to the steering wheel and I was hurt when someone hit me from behind. I was never hurt in any of the Honda Preludes I leased as I had a great seating positing and sat far enough from the steering wheel. I only kept the Acura since it got devalued in the car accident and as a CPA I felt I could not take the loss but then I realized there was more important things in life than money and I would get a car I felt safe in and loved driving.

In the car I now drive (the BMW 128i) I feel I am sitting so comfortably and I can turn the wheel well unlike most of the other cars I tested and my knee does not hit the steering wheel like it does in all the Volkswagen's I tested and most other cars as well as I can put my foot flat on the foot rest on the floor which I can't do in most cars even real small ones. I will go out to my car now and see how I am sitting and then on Monday go see how I am sitting in the 2-series car. Thank you for this reminder for me to be safe.

Thank you for your input and caring post. Anyone else have any opinions? I sure wish I was a few inches taller. I know good things come in cute petite packages but I wish I wish I was at least 5'4" tall with longer legs and arms. Being 4'10" tall with shorter arms and legs than my friend who is the same height is really a challenge in life. I do not look as petite as I am others say but when I test cars I realize I have some challenges that others do not face.

Last edited by Lynn_228i; 06-08-2014 at 01:21 PM..
Appreciate 0