View Single Post
      12-21-2012, 11:54 AM   #124
Jonjt
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 09 E92 335i M-sport

Quote:
Originally Posted by Antares View Post
-it's not that important if M division and high end models make money; Rolly-Royce, Lamborghini, Aston Martin, Bentley, Lotus, Bugatti... made supreme cars. Their salvation was a mass-producer. Technological development is too expensive for niche vehicles.

-BMW as a name is already weak and is still going down. In Europe you can buy a 114 with 102HP!! The 3 series is not put significantly better.
The BMW appeal is not going to last long, once the market gets inundated with cheap crap. I mean, who cares to ask "what engine do you have?"
People in general ask "what car do you drive?" and are not interested in the optional list or engine specifications.

That's why Porsche explained they're not going below a certain price level with the new models; (they're planning a 5 series equivalent.)

I think that a 550i is a little too thirsty; diesel engines are going to debut in the USA, so maybe you should think in that direction.
You're right, on all accounts. I've never been the type to value brand image when making buying decisions. However, the diluted quality of the new BMW may well force me to other brands. At least, BMW is working hard to save me a lot of money!

The 550xi is very thirsty but, my mother wants a fast vehicle. She doesnt drive much and, gas in the states is cheap so, I think she'll be okay. Maybe I'll even be able to convince her to get a tune.
Appreciate 0