BAMxi
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: E90 328xi

Garage List
2007 328xi  [10.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by Red Bread View Post
Agreed, BMW could clean up from a driving dynamics standpoint in this market if they got a rwd car to market against a bunch of fwd based cars. I really don't understand how BMW let things get this far behind. Honestly, I'd be worried that Subaru/Toyota figure out how to make an FR-S/BRZ sedan, which could really stand out in this market.

The E63 is a regular, rwd based 4Matic setup, so it's going to be much more aggressive than the CLA45.
I think you're onto something with Subaru/Toyota. I'm thinking that these German luxury brands are going to find themselves competing with companies and cars they've never had to compete with before. The new Subaru WRX concept looks really nice, and if it makes it to production that way, it will likely be priced slightly under the new 2GC.

I am also eager to see the new S3 in person. Early rumblings are that it will be automatic only, so that could leave some room for BMW to come in with a "pure" RWD small coupe and sedan (gran coupe) with optional 6MT that can at least perform on the same level as the S3. While the CLA might have nice specs, I think it looks awful and the front overhang makes the entire car look disproportionate.