View Single Post
      02-13-2014, 07:02 PM   #27
ybbiz34
Brigadier General
Rep
Drives: 2023 330i M Sport

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bam226 View Post
I've only driven and owned 1 bmw. Can someone for the love of god explain steering feel / response?
Generally?

"Steering feel" typically refers to the amount of (and quality of) communication between the steering system/wheel and the car, its tires, and the road it rides on. The term can be representative of the amount of effort/input needed to turn the car at varying speeds. It can also be used to discuss a steering system's weight (i.e., is it pleasantly heavy/firm or is it unpleasantly light/numb?).

Observations that can fall under the wide "steering feel" umbrella:

- Weight/Effort (does the steering feel light and effortless (borderline artificial) or does it feel heavier, more natural, and progressive as you increase/decrease a given steering input?)

- Communication (can I feel what the car and its tires are doing through the steering wheel, do the sensations/vibrations I feel with steering wheel properly correspond with the particular road/track conditions?)

That was quickly written but hopefully that gives you a general idea of what someone means when they talk about steering feel.

For me, I look for the following attributes when evaluating steering feel: 1) Does the wheel accurately and thoroughly transmit to me (i.e., to my hands) what the tires are encountering on the road? 2) Is there a nice, consistent firm weight to the steering that lends itself to predictable, progressive, and easily controllable steering inputs?
Gone: '18 W205 C43 Sedan
Gone: '13 W204 C63 Sedan
Appreciate 0