View Single Post
      01-20-2014, 02:12 PM   #19
Sam@Bimmerpost
Contributor - Editor
Rep
Drives: E90 M3 Silverstone

Quote:
Originally Posted by Greenkirby21 View Post
thanks for the review! I have always liked your reviews, and this is no different!!

Any thoughts on the weight? Did it feel heavier then the e82 135i, or even your e90 M3? Does it really weigh 3,500 lbs (about the same as F30 3er)??

Any specifics on what was changed in the manual transmission? I heard it shared parts from the upcoming m3/m4.
Thank you!

About weight, the M235i does feel its weight. The extra bulk can be felt quite apparently in the tight handling course, especially during direction changes. The feeling is that of quite a bit of momentum to herd around. It's well managed and very predictable, but my dream would be to see a street legal competition version, stripped down and lose 2-300 lbs. Dreaming, I know, but let's see what they do if/when they release an M2!

In terms of comparing weight to E90 M3, we have to remember that the M3 was no lightweight either. The M3 masked this very well with a very fast ratio steering system and an aggressive suspension set up. But I remember the tire wear on my own M3 (especially the fronts) and this reinforces the notion that BMWs have become quite heavy and are set up to mask that mass as tightly as possible. The penalty seems to be rapid tire wear. Of course, I prefer to have just a lighter car to begin with.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Alex_bm
I have recently driven 2014 320i. The EPS did feel a bit better compared to 2013 335i on the same suspension.
Not sure if there was some tweaking done. Maybe the weight difference helps.
That being said the steering was far worse compared to the M3.
To make it feel the same in M235 would take much more than simple tuning.
From what I have seen in the reviews all bashed the steering in M135.
Wonder if BMW would completely revamp the system from M135 to M235...
I'm seeing a few comments about my comparison to the E90 M3's steering feel. I want to clarify that I am comparing specifically the 'feel' based on the metrics I described in the beginning of the article, not necessarily the entire system.

As a whole, I still prefer the E90 M3's steering because we mustn't forget that steering is inextricably tied to suspension and the E90 M3 had a more focused suspension and it cornered more satisfyingly as a result.

What I am really saying is that in terms of 'feel', the EPS in the M235i is not bad at all and certainly no worse than the E90 M3's hydraulic in 'feel'. This does not necessarily imply that every part of the steering experience is just as good, but I would say it's not that far off!
Appreciate 0