doc19
Second Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2011 e90 M3 6MT

Quote:
Originally Posted by 宝马.e90 View Post
+1.
I can't tell if you're being sarcastic, serious but I strongly disagree. A base 128i here in Canada is already $36,000. Add in the premium package at the least and it prices over $42k (not including costs/taxes). We won't even discuss a 135. $42k for a 1-Series. You could get a base 320/323/328, a "real" BMW with that kind of money.

Your statement is categorizing what BMW should be, not what it is. If anything the 1-Series is becoming, if not already, the car BMW has always been known for - sporty and compact that has that raw driving feel (see: 1M), not like the other BMW models that are getting more and more computer-influenced each generation. I don't know how it is there but people who drive a 1-Series here are labelled many things but not being able to afford a "real" BMW isn't one of them.
As BMW owners I think we all know that the 1-series are "real" Bimmers. I actually think the e82 is the true successor to the e46 in terms of its soul. But I think there is a perception among non-car people that if you buy the smallest/lower numbered/lower lettered designation car of a luxury brand, you couldn't afford anything higher. Now we all know that is bogus, but there are a lot of haters out there.

A friend of mine just picked up a 135... and man that thing is fun to drive. If the 1M was out and easily available when I picked up my M3, I would have had a really hard decision to make.

Anyway, back on topic... I hope this all works out for BMW, but I feel like the history is being lost with these newer models in a way. To get a car like the e30 3 series you have to get a 1 or 2 series now. The f30 3 series is almost the size of the older 5 series. Don't get me started on the potential "M4."