08-12-2014, 12:17 AM   #33
nachob
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2004 330i ZHP, 2022 Cayman T

Quote:
Originally Posted by e90post_user View Post
On the new US market M3/M4 you can get Alcantra seats with leather inserts, why not on a 2-series?
Because there are a few diehards that want the best possible seats for spirited driving. In this case, cloth is stickier and better for that so I guess they offer it for the full M car but the M-sport line BMW USA is going for luxury so they decided that fake leather, while not as good, maintains the appearance of luxury. That is what I have been able to piece together. Americans, if you generalize have their own ideas. They would rather drive a hideous Venza instead of an A4 Avant wagon because crossover is cooler than wagon even though it's hideous. Diesels and Mini-vans are the same. Once folklore deems something unacceptable, the masses follow.

I am trying to do my part to get BMW USA to stop this but can't do it alone. They only care what the customer says and they are gleefully buying fake leather or paying the $1400 for pretty hard leather that feels harder than the fake stuff. I hope some of you that are in the market will request it and let BMW know that not every BMW guy is a cow following the BMW USA bull around. Let them know! This interior is really cool!!! Better than fake leather any day. It should be the base interior IMHO.
Appreciate 0