Banned
Albania
Rep
Drives: 1M, X1 M Sport, E46 325ic

Quote:
Originally Posted by Levi View Post
M2 + I6 = FAIL
M2 + I4 = WIN

You think BMW is going to give the M2 the engine from the M4? Or you think an OEM tuned N55/N56 is worth an M badge? The N55 is almost as heavy as S65.

If you want I6 just get an M4, if you can't afford M4, but want I6, just get M235i. Let the purists get I4.

If it was only about I6 smoothness, why did BMW give the E9XM a V8? Why did M3 E30 have I4 whereas 325i E30 had I6?

The M2 is about handling, and 328i F30 handles better than 335i F30. If the next M2 gets an I6, it will be the same car as the current/previous E82M: good car but wrong powertrain.

A heavy I6 is inacceptable in a lightweight M2.
i don't know about " unacceptable" .. but i agree... the M2 can be closer to the actual true spiritual successor to the E30 M3 by putting in a 4 cyl motor. And i agree.. a hotted up 4 cylinder would make it weigh even less.

Quote:
Originally Posted by ozinaldo View Post
Nice logic there, maybe it's a bit of a wishful thinking but I would love to see that more than another inline six; not because I don't love the sixes but because it is time to invest more on lightness and smaller displacement for M.

I personally hope it comes with a 4 cyl motor as well. better economy and probably darn near similar power along with a ton of torque.

Quote:
Originally Posted by formula M View Post
All of this is great news...

But do understand, the M2 will be lighter than the 1M coupe & much more refined and focused. It will def have a 4-cyl w/ secret M-sauce..

I would expect nearly 200lbs lighter and slightly higher revs, with matching tq figures as the 1M coupe. Win/win
that's what I'm talking about... Secret M sauce eh?
Appreciate 0