Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: '18 black-n-blue 718 Cayman

Quote:
Originally Posted by MadOzodi View Post
I think one of my first posts on here was similar to the following:

"In this day and age, how does one not already know how to Forum?"
If you knew (part of) what I do for a living, you would know how much this chaps and scrapes at my black heart ... [I'm an editor and an ex-journalist]

... but I gotta tell ya: Learning to 'forum' should have been a legit Millennial verb years ago ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Deutsche-Broke View Post
I kinda pictured Mike, sitting in the, "sturdy Adirondack chair" on the side deck with a Leinenkegel Grapefruit sour and a couple of iPads.. Just waiting for this magic moment as he spit on his fingers to make the angry emoticons show up faster...
I like the envisioning, hehe ... only I'll opt for either a German-brewed Bitburger Pils (none o' that made-by-Molson-under-license crap) or a Chimay Blue (heresy, I know, but I gotta give the Belgians credit for making SOMEthing good.). Oh: And an Eames chair, please, or pretty much anything from Herman Miller.

As for the generational thing: Part of my theory involves the ever-increasing effect of instant-on, instantly gratifying social media and connectivity. People expect answers NOW and know how to get answers NOW, and thus expect answers NOW pretty much everywhere that involves a keyboard.

So they mistake (or treat) a forum like 2Addicts for a chat room, or a Facebook or Twitter feed, or a Pinterest board. Thing is, it's not: it is a community resource first, meant to operate as a database (of sorts) for information on a common interest. This is the entire reason this forum has topical subforums; to refine the crowd-sourced information that exists here, both as a searchable resource and a point of query and/or conversation.

So, OP: Learn the difference between this and the other platforms I've mentioned above, and understand that they all do not work the same way. 2Addicts, and other forums like it, work best when members use it properly.

Wait: what was that? What's 'properly'? Glad you asked!:
The "Announcement" sticky at the very top of every forum and subforum
and
Bimmerpost Terms of Service (pay particular attention to the "Content" section")

You're welcome!
Appreciate 1