United_States
Rep
Drives: 2006 M3, 2010 135i, 2004 WRX

Garage List
2010 135i  [6.00]
2004 WRX  [8.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by M3 Adjuster View Post
the 1M was a game changer... this is a continuation... DUH!
The success of the 1 series M coupe was a game changer in the sense that it showed the heads at BMW that the demand for a smaller sport (read: M car) was present. The continuation with the M2 is an extension of this and will introduce a more affordable M car to their line up, and one that fits the need for peoples demands for a small sports coupe.

In Europe they had huge success with the M135i, and I truely believe that if the E82 was not at the end of its life cycle, we would have seen the 1 series M coupe run for more than 1 year of production.

The M2 is their second chance, or as you put it a "continuation". Now BMW M has to be careful of not stepping on the toes of the M3 (where the 1M was already very close in doing so) so I believe a 4 cylinder will fit the bill perfectly.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mark's M View Post
Current M135i (and M235i for N/A): 320 hp I-6

M2: 340-360 hp I-6

M4: 450ish hp I-6

The N20 will be reserved for lesser 2er's once they arrive in 2014. My humble predictions.
I don't see the M2 having an inline 6. Why would BMW essentially offer the same engine in the M2, M3, and M4 but detune the M2 by 100 hp?

I Agree lesser 2's such as a 228i will carry the N20, but the M2 will have a reinforced, high output N20 maybe dubbed the S20. This S20 could also very well have a larger displacement than the current N20.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Levi View Post
As many say, I too like I6 engines, but the I6 engine is a good engine only in specific uses. It is not bad in the M135i, but alot of the power is not really necessary. On track the FWD Renault Mégane RS does very well with "only" 265 PS. I am quite sure the new Audi S3 with 300 PS, will be as fast, and probably even faster than the M135i. Is the M2 going after laptime and sprint time records? Maybe, but that will be disappointing for me. Look at the BRZ/GT86, a wonderful car, which with the right tires only, gets instanly much faster on track and in acceleration, with only 200 PS and NA 205 Nm.

One thing most of you forget is that turbocharging is no magic. Turbocharging is "cheap" power, but may cost even more if the get it right.
I like the idea of a smaller displacement I6 (BMW 320i and Lexus IS200 with 2.0l I6) but I don't see BMW doing that. N55 is the same engine as N20 but with two cylinders more. BMW has the N16, if like for the N20, we could then get a 2.4l I6, but I doubt BMW would do that for the M2 only, for cost reasons, just as they didn't give the 3.3l V6 for the M3, again for cost reasons only.
I would love to see a 2.4L inline 4 for the M2. Scott has mentioned BMW becoming very modular in all their parts, including engines. Can someone think of an older engine that had this displacement?