View Single Post
      11-05-2014, 04:46 PM   #1
ketema
Second Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2015 M235i

The wait is over, now the fun begins.

I just took delivery of my M235i this past Monday November 3, 2014. Getting this car was not planned, in fact the last 20 months or so have been a whirlwind re-introduction to track days and the joy of motorsport. I have only owned 5 cars my entire life. My first car was a 1994 Toyota MR2. At 19 I was ecstatic to have what I considered an incredible sports car. I was also incredibly stupid. I drove way too fast, I poured every dime I earned from serving in the Navy into the car instead of saving, and just basically was a hoonigan. I had considered joining the SCCA back then and learning how to really drive the thing, but then the worst thing imaginable happened...it was stolen. I was devastated. Never recovered the car and I swore off cars. Over the next 16 years I owned a 1985 Dodge Aries and a 2002 Hyundai Elantra. They were nothing to me but tools to get from here to there. 2012 rolls around, kids are big, things are going well so I decide to get a nice car. At this time I had no thought of tracking, but deep down that need for speed was still there. I have always preferred agile cars, power was secondary to handling for me. Since I still had not rediscovered my love of cars I concentrated on finding a car that would last, provide some luxury, but still be relatively small and economical and seat 5. I settled on what many in my position do: the "Sport Sedan", specifically I chose a Mercedes Benz C350. I loved it. Had about 300 horsepower, sat 5 and I got 24.5 miles to the gallon. That was November 2012

I blame my neighbor Mark for everything that has happened since. One day we are both washing our cars. He has an older BMW 328i. He comes over and says "Hows that thing drive?" We go for a test drive have a little fun and start chatting. After what seems like hours I am just smiling ear to ear, I had forgotten how much fun cars were. More importantly I forgotten much enjoying them WITH someone was. He then suggested I come with him and a couple of his buddies to Roebling Road in Savanna, GA. That was the nail in the coffin. I was once again hooked on cars. I enjoyed the Benz, it was no track monster, but it was quick and I had a ton of fun. But the urge is to get better and better as a driver and to do that you have to progress. I started planning how to improve the Benz. Then the unthinkable happened AGAIN (not stolen), but crashed. Rear ended at a red light by some jerk. Car totaled. Thankfully no one was hurt. This time though instead of swearing off cars I took it as an opportunity to get a better car for the track and to become a better driver. Order went in and three months or so later here we are. The fun begins.

My goal is not to build a complete track animal, but the car is definitely not a daily driver. My plans below:

Theme: Carbon Fiber and Black

Current Mods and set up
2015 Black Sapphire Metallic Exterior
Black Sensatec Interior
M Performance Exhaust
M Performance Spoiler
M Performance Front Spoiler and Diffuser
M Performance Limited Slip Differential
M Performance Alcantara and Carbon Fiber Interior
M Performance Steering Wheel

The Plan:
Track it stock -> heading up to RR this weekend. Couple of auto crosses, basically get a good feel for the car first.

Xpel full frontal clear protective wrap.

KW DDC Plug N Play Coilovers. I want the suspension to be better, but not lose functionality of stock EDC mode selector.

Wheels & Tires. Leaning toward BBC CHR, but still open. Lightweight and strength more important than looks. Have looked at MORR and others. Will be tracked often. Tires will depend on final size and fitment of wheels, but will use a streetable track tire like Pilot Sport Cups or similar.

BBK. Undecided which one. Brembo, M Performance (which is Brembo) Still can't understand the huge price differential here. I use Torque RT700 Brake Fluid.

Air Intake & filter. Hopefully DINAN has a set up by the time I get to this, if not will look at AFE and others.

Intercooler and Charge pipe.

Will research to see if an oil cooler is needed.

DINANTRONICS Performance Tuner Stage 1

Stay tuned to : My You Tube Channel I will give updates and pictures along the way. Arrival pics here
Appreciate 3
amw896582.50