02-09-2016, 12:23 PM   #41
raleedy
Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2016 228i 6-speed

Quote:
Originally Posted by pjohns21 View Post
This is why I was surprised with JD Power's Initial Quality Study and the 2 series award, especially since the interiors for the coupes/sedans are so similar and share many of the same materials. I'm not sure how much initial quality really refers to interior materials/fit and finish, but maybe they saw significant differences in quality between the first f30 models and the f22s. I don't believe the most current gen. 3 series won this same award. This is why I was asking if someone knew something I didn't in terms of the in these two model lines, besides 'quality' being somewhat subjective in general.
I think you are all misinterpreting the JDPowers quality reports. In these reports, "quality" means how many reported problems per 100 vehicles in their first months. "Reliability" means how many problems, and which ones, crop up later. Reliability tends to decline with the age of a model as the miles accumulate and stuff happens. Newer models (first year or two or three) in general have higher reliability ratings than older ones in Powers and Consumer Reports studies. Whether the knobs and buttons on your dash look or feel or taste good when new doesn't enter into the quality ratings.
Appreciate 0