TIM YOYO
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2013 M3

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by GoingTooFast View Post
Thesis:

Inline-6 engine is a marketing thing for BMW.
I will not dispute that the inline-6 engine is a marketing bullet point for BMW, but that's not what you've said before. More goal post moving. You've said, repeatedly, that it is only marketing. A distinction with which I disagree.

Quote:
Evidences:

It represents a significant weight penalty regarding 4 cyl. engines which is obviously detrimental for the "Sheer Driving Pleasure" and "Efficient Dynamics".

1. Less fuel-efficient
2. More emissions
3. More weight over the front axle
4. Higher COG
5. Lower aerodynamic efficiency
6. Less favorable power-to-weight ratio.
7. Tendency for higher power output which equates to an even higher overall weight
8. Weight being the worst enemy of a car's dynamics: braking, accelerating, cornering
1. Less fuel-efficient

An I6 is not always less fuel-efficient than an I4. You can't say that. What you can say is that larger displacement results in increased fuel consumption. That is a factual statement that I won't dispute.

Regardless, not everyone puts fuel-efficiency as top priority. This doesn't support your thesis that the I6 is "marketing only". Some customers deeply want an I6 for its character.

2. More emissions

Again, factually true, but doesn't support your thesis for the reasons stated above.

3. More weight over the front axle
4. Higher COG

Again, you're naming differences that are objectively true, but may not bear 100% on the subjective desires of a given car buyer.

5. Lower aerodynamic efficiency

I don't understand how an I6 significantly impacts aerodynamic performance. You'll have to educate us on that one.

6. Less favorable power-to-weight ratio.

This is factually incorrect. An I6 does not inherently have a lower power-to-weight ratio.

7. Tendency for higher power output which equates to an even higher overall weight

Huh?

8. Weight being the worst enemy of a car's dynamics: braking, accelerating, cornering

Agreed. One should seek to keep weight low in a sports car. Like I said, I'd love for BMW to have released an I4 powered M2, but that doesn't make the I6 only marketing. It just means the balance of priorities is a little different. An I6 powered M2 will have greater engine flexibility and better throttle response at a given power level, were that same power level sought with an I4.

Quote:
Commercial advantages:

6 cyl. tradition and image; development cost (the turbocharged engine is on the market since 2006, it's basically the same engine or using already proven and even older technologies such as Valvetronic); a 4 and 3 cyl. engine derivatives can been easily obtained by simply cutting out 2 or 3 cylinders with most of the other engine components being shared; the 6 cyl. engine is regarded as a luxury item associated to premium, heavier, pricier cars whereas its 4 cyl. counterpart is not despite the fact of sharing the very same technologies and most of the components.
The I6 is also associated with many fantastic sports cars. Jaguar E-type, anyone? It is one of two engine packaging configurations which have perfect natural balance of first and second order forces. Enthusiasts love the I6 for reasons that are not related to commercial efficiencies.

Quote:
Conclusion:

A 6 cyl. engine is a marketing thing for BMW with important disadvantages to as far as a sportier driving experience, fuel-efficiency and emissions go.
Your conclusion is partially correct. The I6 has marketing value to BMW. It's part of their ethos, but the I6 is has value outside of its marketing as well. You're creating a false dichotomy. These two things are not mutually exclusive.
Past: 2010 135i - TiAg Coral Red 6MT ///M-Sport
Appreciate 0