01-11-2015, 11:16 AM   #52
bladeomatic
Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2018 M3 ZCP

Quote:
Originally Posted by BMW F22 View Post
It really boils down to how you're going to option your car. If you're going to option a 228i to make it similar to an M235i, then you should go for the latter.
Indeed.

Plus all those mods/tunes to get it close. Buying an old Honda Civic and hopping it up seemed to make sense for young boys that want a fast car but have thin wallets. I'm continued to be amazed that folks buy a $40K+ new BMW and immediately speak of tacking on a cheap, aftermarket black box to squeeze extra ponies from it. BMW's are very expensive, well-engineered machines. I love the fact that my M235i has near supercar performance out of the box, no tunes required.

Quote:
for the times when I do drive in the twisties or there's no traffic, the sound of that i6 and the power remind me of why I went with the M235i instead.
This.

Like you, I'm driving in heavy traffic much of the time, where my frustrated race horse has to "trot". It's totally in Dr. Jekyll mode for much of the time. If all I was ever doing was city driving, I would totally take a 228i.

It's on those weekends that my wife and I go on trips into the foothills that the genius of the M235i reveals itself. Enter Mr Hyde. Snarling power, glorious handling, excellent brakes and a freight train of torque as I blast up hills that would choke a 228i.

Quote:
I wasn't planning on the 2. I came in to test drive it and was sold. It had the looks, the smaller size that I wanted (4 was too big IMO), the sportiness and handling that I missed when I drove an E46 ZHP many moons ago. So to answer your question: it is an UPGRADE over the 335i (at least IMO). Don't let the smaller series number fool you into believing it's a lesser car.
Ditto.

Was planning on a 335i and drove one. Saw the M235i sitting next to it, which had just arrived after all the BMW "Olympic Torch" commercials. Drove the M235i right after a 335i and it was all over. Screw the extra door and sensibility of a sedan. I've been extremely happy ever since.
Appreciate 1