View Single Post
      02-26-2014, 09:07 PM   #58
sdpauly
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2010 135i, 2008 Taco

I have stated this before, but this thread is pretty long, so maybe you missed it. A 4cyl turbo, even if it exceeds the capabilities of the tuned N54 they put in the 1M, it likely to be maxed out. There is only so much you can squeeze out of 4 cylinders, and they are likely to have squeezed all they can...

The beauty of the N54 is how much untapped potential was left on the table. A simple $700 tune could get you and extra 100hp. That's nuts!! If they go with a I-4T in the M2 is will likely be bested by a 235i with a tune. Also, as I have said before, I do not like the engine dynamics of an I4, I have driven an N20 328i and it was smooth, but you have to rev the hell out of it to get any power... My I-6T has peak torque on tap at 2k RPM, most of the time, I don't have to downshift out of 6th to pass someone on the freeway.

Maybe you think it foolish to dismiss a car because if the engine choice but I buy a car as much for the engine than for the stats and looks. And an I-4T has about zero appeal to me. Good luck BMW if they go this route, but I'm not interested.