11-20-2013, 02:18 PM   #28
TSM330i
2006 330i, TSM, Black, manual, sport
United_States
Rep
Drives: '17 C2, GTI, Z4 3.0si Racecar

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mahlzeit View Post
now THIS is PERFECT. The original M3 came about due to BMW wanting to go racing first and foremost. They only made the street car b/c the racing series required at leat 500 units to sold as street cars to the public.

IF the M2 is based off this M235 'racing' car then AND the M2 comes out of the box with those fenders then, we've just returned to the real M roots. M for motorsports, before M marketing.

For me it is a no-brainer to sell my 1M for an M2 inspired by and based on a actual race car, with idiotic boxed fenders. I might even tolerate a 4cyl so long as it pushes +400hp. It is not a no-brainer to sell my 1M for the new gen M3/M4.

If the M2 lives on like this - then we'll all owe Dr. Kai Segler a bottle of Pyrat. And the world will once again be in order.
I agree completely.

the 2-series is a smaller car than the M4 and will weigh a little less. If BMW uses some of the lightweight materials/weight savings that the M4 impliments, then this race car should be a couple hundred pounds lighter still (approximately 3,000lbs).

HP wise - we all know the M3/4 will definitely fit into the 2-series since it's an inline 6 turbo, but the cost may be too high for them to use it.
In all honesty, I do race a 335 and a Z4 and having a ton of HP isn't necessarily needed. What a privateer really wants is longevity and cost effectiveness. It costs a ton of money to go racing.

An example is we raced at Mid-Ohio in the BMWCCA Endurance Series, which is a 4 hour race. We had a 6 hour tow to get to the track. When all is said and done with preventative maintenance on the car, fuel, tires, brakes, fool, lodging etc. it ended up costing us about $4000.
Engine maintenance was oil change and spark plugs. We have Dinan software, intercooler and full exhaust and that's it. We're pushing about 400hp in a car that weighs 3300lbs (yes, the 335 is HEAVY). We are one of the quickest cars in the straight line (even quicker than the heavily modified e46 M3s we race against - aero slows them down).

That being said - if they come out with a version as shown in the pics with only a slight hp bump from the M235i - this will be my next car!
Appreciate 0