Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: '11 STi - IAG Trojan

Quote:
Originally Posted by M235SDCA View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by ExZHP View Post
Hi all, a question from the tuning newbie. I'd like to put a tune to increase performance on my 228i, and I am well aware of Dinan. Now, it offers Stage 1 Performance tuner, priced at over $1500 before installation - kind of costly. I am aware of the warranty and Dinan's reputation, etc.

There is also what seems to be a cheaper version of a Dinan tune: DINANTRONICS Sport Performance Tuner, for about 1/5 of the price. It seems to offer a decent HP and torque boost, but the caveat is that it seems it doesn't meet emission standards in California.

Is it possible (or worth the trouble) to get the DINANTRONICS Sport Performance Tuner in CA and would it screw up my smog check when it's due?

Does this tune even compare with the Stage 1 tuner? Any advice appreciated.
I wouldn't worry about the smog check for the sport tuner. You could pull it off in 5 minutes if the shop even noticed it. Also your first smog check is 6 years after the car is bought new. Just last month I smogged my old 330 with a bunch of Dinan mods and they don't even bother to sniff the tailpipe any more in CA. Basically no CEL or emission faults and you are good to go.
Can't believe how crazy lax Cali is now, but in PA they do it annually, sticking a device into the tailpipe attached to a computer (state regulated computer) that spits out a slip of paper with all the measurements, along with a PASS or FAIL, of which if you fail, you have to run again after repairs, being charged every single time they run the test ($35 I believe).