View Single Post
      04-12-2017, 09:48 AM   #25
Sportstick
Major General
Rep
Drives: '15 228i and '24 X3 sDrive30i

Quote:
Originally Posted by russiandoc View Post
So what are the thoughts about the track handling package regarding ride comfort? I want the option of a smooth ride. Seems like the thp will also force me to buy winter tires here in Connecticut.
The THP may provide the most comfortable ride of any configuration of 2 Series, as it has the most capability to respond to the driver-chosen setting. My barometer....Mrs. Sportstick...finds it to be fine, and she drives an Audi A6. But, being able to choose Sport or Sport+ is what brings the car alive when the spirit moves you.

Due to the extremely poor roads in southeast Michigan, which I refer to as moonscaping, I did choose to downsize to 17", but it's hard to imagine your roads would be as bad.

You would need snow tires in Connecticut in any event. There are no tires which come as original equipment which are winter capable. With XDrive, you may have the ability to get moving, but the much more important stopping and turning capability, especially when unexpected, are too inferior to be worth the risk to new car/limb/life. Also, you will need to put on the winter tires a bit sooner if you have a car with Michelin PSS, as they need to come off at 45 degrees F or lower due to loss of traction in the cold as well as non-warranty compound cracking.

But, for the extra joy in driving a THP-equipped 2 Series (read Jalopnik articles), this is easily worth it!
2015 228i 6MT/Track Handling/Tech/Cold/Premium/Lighting/Driver Assistance/KCDesign Strut Brace/M2 LCAs/Rogue SSK/BBS SR/PS4S/ER Chargepipe/AA Intercooler/Dinan Shockware/MPerformance Spoiler/Black Grilles/Xpel Ultimate PPF & Prime XR+ Tint/Adam's Ceramic/no CDV
2024 X3 sDrive30i/MSport/Premium/Dynamic Handling/Shadowline/Parking/Xpel Prime XR Plus/Weathertech Cargo Liner
Appreciate 0