Captain
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2022 M3 Competition

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by bacampbe View Post
what are your pros?

I've driven convertibles since 1996, so I have a good idea what it's like. For myself, my next car will still be a convertible (waiting impatiently to see an M235i vert.) But I'm a hardcore open car driver, with the top down almost anytime it's above 50F and not raining. In Texas, that's most of the time.

How much of your driving is top down now? You mention feeling silly when you wanted to go top up--so how often do you drive top down when you really didn't feel like it?

My personal opinion is that convertibles are meant for people who really want one. For people who just sort of want them, or just drive top down on those two or three perfect days a year (depending on where you live), the cons probably outweigh the pros by a pretty big margin.
Okay so a little more info since I realized I didn't explain enough after reading your post.

I live in Wisconsin. The 135 is my first convertible. I always wanted one so when I had the chance I thought why not? Being in Wisconsin we get 3-4 months of great weather above 50 degrees F. I have driven Rear wheel all my life so winter tires and I daily drive my vert every day for the past 4 years. There are some days where It would be nice but when I leave work I am wearing a long sleeve shirt and dress pants and its 88 degrees and humid and while I would normally not want to be "in the sun" I find myself putting the top down and donning a hat " male pattern baldness is creeping up on me" and drive with the AC running which feels just odd.

because of our fickle weather I try to drive with the top down as much as possible which has started to lose its luster no going on 4 years.

I am actually looking at the 2015 235 Xdrive now as a major contender because I can actually use my car to go skiing as well as have a little less road noise.

to the other previous poster I have been looking at options for about a year since the 2 series was released. I work in a technology capacity so I do like the Navi and all the new Tech that is being added to BMW cars. the M235i I test drove twice definitely felt faster than my 135 and was a lot quieter in the cabin. I am leaning the direction of ordering a Estoril blue with oyster interior 2015 M235i x drive which will give me a little more practicality, allow me to enjoy some of our winter sports as well as allow me to drive my car on a track if I wanted to at bmwcaa and other events.

I tend to over analyze things which is a habit in my line of work (IT) and I very much appreciate what other people who are further along the decision path can add to my current research.

One thing I am not seeing is the option to have a 6MT if I do go the 2015 M235 Xdrive route. is that no longer a choice? more curiosity than anything.

I really appreciate all the posts so far on this line of thinking.

My research started about 6 months or so before the 2 series was announced and over the last year or so I have noticed that I am not as enthralled with owning a convertible as I thought I would be. Love the 135 and love the fact I could own a convertible but I have been thinking of moving to something else like a 4 series convertible initially because of the hard top roof. I initially figured that it would give me the best of both worlds. After test driving a few 3's and now a 4 I am not as impressed as I am with the 1/2 series.

So that is where I am as of today. please keep the thoughts coming in!

--
Owner of a 2022 M3 Competition AWD in Individual Voodoo Blue and Fiona Red leather
Appreciate 0