View Single Post
      11-14-2013, 01:30 PM   #66
buumer
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: EB M235i

Quote:
Originally Posted by doppler View Post
So I had a MKV R32 and I now drive a 135. Even if the track time comes in close between a MVVII R and M235, there really is no comparison.

The 10-15k is a premium as Buumer mentioned, but it provides for premium fit and finish that many (myself included) will find worth paying. BMW and VW make a substantially different product, and there may not be a ton of cross shopping except on forums. I can't see myself going back to a VW given how much "content" the extra 10k will buy in a M235.

Marginally related: when I pulled into a client site with my R32, a manager asked if that was "all they had left at the dealer". No one ever says that about my 135.
I admit that the m235i quality sits a notch above golf r, and if that's worth 10-15k to you then bmw has made the right pricing decision. To me, the look of a 2 series is only marginally better than that of the golf, which would be ok so long as the driving and performance feel are superior. We may not find out about the latter until the cars are released, but we can certainly speculate on it. 200 pounds is a significant weight advantage on a small car.

Autocar made a comparison between the m135i and the mk7 gti, and the gti was not far off the mark. That was also just a gti, tack on an extra 70hp, awd, and a tuned suspension and I think the m235i might not fare as well.

http://www.autocar.co.uk/car-video/v...i-vs-bmw-m135i

Appreciate 0