11-14-2013, 12:13 PM   #64
buumer
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: EB M235i

Quote:
Originally Posted by Captain_Burgundy View Post
Bummer,

Saying the outgoing 135i can keep up with a Cayman and the M235i can't keep up with a Golf R is ludicrous.

Did you know BMW execs stated the M235i was faster around the ring than the 1M?

The M235 is going to be faster and a better car than the outgoing 135is. It's only possible shortcoming being its steering, which it's not going to be like an F30. You need to look up Chris Harris Reviews and others on the M135i. This car (M235i ) is not going to be a slouch.
I don't really think there is anything ludicrous about a 3000 pound, 300hp, awd hatch edging out a 3200 pound, 322hp, rwd coupe. My point in all of this is that vw raised the bar much higher with the new golf r than the bmw did with the m235i. The 135i comfortably sat above the 256hp mk6 golf r(more or a less a chipped gti), but the new, more refined mk7 is really eating into bimmers old territory.

There is obviously more to the car formula than weight and hp, as steering feel and balance make the sti/mustang a lousy competitor to a bmw, but vw has a pretty good track record at making the golf a refined and balanced package.
Appreciate 0