View Single Post
      08-16-2016, 11:11 AM   #77
kdog26372
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2015 M235xi BSM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kolyan2k View Post
You seem to go a bit deep in specifics on ISF. Did you test both cars on the same day, with same weather, on the same tires ?

I would take ISF over M235i and M3 any day, its got V8 and its reliable, it also posts similar track results as e92 M3. BMW has stolen 8-speed tranny from Lexus lol...shame, although Lexus tranny still shifts a bit faster according to specs
I really don't care if it's got a v8, v12, 6 cylinder turbo, as long as it performs and proves reliable then that's what matters. The smaller engines weighs less gets much better gas mileage and the torque is easy to increase on the turbo with a simple $300 tune. I also don't care where the 8 speed tranny came from, it's not a Lexus tranny it's a ZF, so what's the difference?Any rate, the ISF is slightly slower in all respects to the M235i, is heavier, handles worse and stops slower. The one I drove was a 2014, it was a normal spring day, low's 70's, it was low mileage and dealer let me take it for 30 minute solo drive and it just isn't all that fast and feels kinda sloppy and heavy. I own the M235i so I know exactly how that drives in various conditions and is just a better drivers car, I think you'd be in the minority of those that would think the Lexus is the better driving car.

Don't get me wrong, it's a nice car, but for current M3 $ I'd want that level of performance, rather than E92 performance. Lexus is a generation behind and don't think they even make the ISF right now. The M2 which is $15k less would be an even easier choice for 90% of people, unless you need 4 doors and for the same price as the ISF the new M3 is worlds better in all driving measurables. But, no V8, which sounds like it's important for you. In terms of engine reliability, I'm on my 3rd BMW with a turbo and only issue I've ever had was water pump failing on my 135i, certainly not engine related as they have proven to be pretty bullet prove even when tuned.