06-23-2018, 11:58 PM   #5
Dj_Quik
Second Lieutenant
Canada
Rep
Drives: 2018 F80

Quote:
Originally Posted by gk09 View Post
You may want to research the 2 huge issues with those M3's... They drop valves causing engine failure ( some engines within the first 3,000kms) and the bilateral plastic actuators that fail bc well, they're both plastic plus as mentioned the insane costs of maintaining that M car in general now in year 10.

I'm not sure of the cost in the US but here in Canada the engine replacement is over $20K and the actuators are $4-5K

I owned the 09 model for 4 years and have a 240i and agree, the M3 is an absolute blast with the 3 pedals despite being slower than the 240 but that M3 could deplete the finances in a heartbeat.

Hope this helps
Did you mean the rod bearings and the throttle body actuators? Yeah they can fail and most failures are seen with the 08-09 model years. I used to own an e92 m3 as well. The one thing i miss the most is the SOUND. It is simply the best sounding motor i have ever heard. It is so intoxicating i loved just redlining that motor.

OP, that being said, they are ticking time bombs and if you dont do preventative maintenance on the rod bearings and the throttle
Actuators, you will be looking at a very expensive repair bill. Look to spend 3000-5000 just on preventative stuff if your seriously considering one or get extended powertrain warranty. You will miss the 240’s power and torque though just so you know. The m3 isnt a slouch but youll defs miss the torque of the 240.
Appreciate 1
judas15.00