02-23-2018, 10:35 PM   #47
CP911
Major
United_States
Rep
Drives: '18 M240i 6-speed Coupe

Quote:
Originally Posted by AW BMW View Post
I just picked up a 2018 Camry for my wife in November, we ordered it to her spec. After driving the Camry, I would rethink getting a 3 series unless it was a 340i. Her car is windchill pearl white with the top half painted black with red leather interior, let me tell you that the inside of that car is a very nice place to be. With all the safety equipment it brings standard and full LED headlights among other things, it is good commuter car IMO. The transmission is quick to downshift if you want to pass or just get on it, and the gas mileage is great. This car can actually take turns very fast, I was surprised. The 4 banger engine makes some noise to and makes it feel sporty, it's not the same Camry from before. I actually enjoy driving it. She sold her Benz E350 for this car and likes this car a lot more. And for the $4,200 I got off MSRP which brought the price down to 27k even, I would consider it again.
Are you serious right now?

I got the new Camry 4-banger as my rental car when I went to last year's Formula 1 US Grand Prix in Austin. Total disappointment in nearly every way possible. Based on the TV commercials and its new looks, I had very high hopes for the car. By the end of the trip, my wife was literally annoyed with me because of how critical I was on the car. It deserved it though. Tin can construction worse than I've seen from Kia and Honda over the last half decade. You can literally hear the pop of the sheet metal on the doors flexing as you close the doors. The steering feel is one of the worst I've experienced from an EPS rack - almost as bad as the new Impreza EPS rack (however, my '16 WRX had lovely steering feel!). The engine? Totally pathetic by today's standards. My old 2012 Kia Optima with its NA 2.4L direct-injection engine pulled harder and ran smoother. Composure over bumps and bad roads was horrible as well. Just a stiff, clunky ride over anything but smooth pavement.
Then again, knowing rental car companies, it could have been attributed partly to over-inflated tires...but still. Don't even get me started on the interior design...

Just a total miss by Toyota except for maybe the exterior styling. But for me, function > form every time. Sadly, they will probably continue to sell though for the same reason I leased my Optima right out of college: (features+gas mileage)/price. Oh, and marketing/advertising too. I was watching a lot of NBA basketball back when Blake Griffin was pimping the then newly-redesigned Optima as the "Official Vehicle of the NBA." LMAO

Considering the new and upcoming Supra is a re-skinned BMW Z4, I think it is only appropriate and wise for Mazda to pay some attention to Toyota right now.

Last edited by CP911; 02-23-2018 at 10:46 PM..
Appreciate 0