Thread: No more manual?
View Single Post
      12-11-2017, 04:15 PM   #23
XutvJet
Major General
Rep
Drives: 2011 Cayman Base, 2016 M235

My wife has a 2015 Outback 3.6R (6 cylinder model). It has Subaru's highest torque-rated CVT and has some fake torque shock built into the automatic mode to reduce that droning effect. It's the same CVT used in the automatic WRX. The Outback is a very smooth driving car and good for cruising and family hauling duties, but I'd still MUCH prefer a good planetary automatic like the ZF 8AT. There's no doubt in my mind the Outback would be quicker and faster in 0-60 and 1/4 mile runs. CVTs just aren't sporting and they bleed power as the speeds exceed 80-90mph.

Which brings me to the ZF 8AT. It's impressive and is easily the best automatic I've experienced. The 8AT in the Lexus IS-F is a close second and I can't help but think ZF copied the Lexus IS-F 8AT (it was to market way before the ZF 8AT) because they behave so similarly. With that said, the ZF executes full throttle upshifts/downshifts in Sport automatic mode that, short of the sound of the gear changes, it's dang near CVT like in the smoothness of forward momentum. I just couldn't do it. I needed and wanted that 6MT torque shock. It feels faster (but isn't)
Appreciate 0