View Single Post
      04-12-2014, 10:59 PM   #143
RPM90
Major General
Rep
Drives: 340i M-sport AT

Quote:
Originally Posted by bimmer4life24 View Post
Agree with everything you said except the M3 is starting at $62k and you're forgetting the M235i will stop production when M2 is around. There will be a regular 235i that should cost less. Maybe base around $41k? (I believe the 135i was around $40k).

Using your logic, with the M3 at $62k base, a fully loaded M2 would be no higher than $61k. Subtract the $10k in upgrades, that gives you $51k. It makes sense if you look at it from a marketing standpoint which is the number 1 thing that people here are overlooking.

These numbers would target every market:
228i - $32k-$42k
235i - $41k-$51k
M2 - $51k-$61k
M3/4 - $63-$80K
M5 - +$92K

M235i is a car that is between the potential 235i (135i) and M2.
Can you please point me to where you read the M235i will be dropped when the M2 arrives?
I'm genuinely curious as that doesn't make any sense to me.

I've not heard or read that the M235i will be discontinued and replaced with a higher HP 4 cyl.
The 228i is a 4cyl.

The base price difference between a 228i and 235i is mostly the engine and added standard equipment.
If BMW drops the M235i only to replace it with a 235i with a 4cyl, who then buys the greatly more expensive 4 cylinder 235i over the 228i?

With the 1 series there was the 128i and 135i, then came the 1M.
BMW didn't drop the 135i just because of the 1M.

I now digress a bit.

An M car is not a replacement for a fully loaded non M car.
It's a different niche, different automobile, and the price goes up accordingly.
Who actually x-shops a loaded 3 series or an M3?
No one. You either want all the tech and lux options on the 3 series, or you're an M buyer who buys it for the performance.
The 2 models are not related in that regard.

Just because a base M might be within reach of the price for a fully loaded non M doesn't then mean a person simply decides to "move up" to the M.
A base M is a base car. It doesn't come with all of the gee-whiz and gotta-have options. Those lux and tech options are still offered for the person who has to have all the performance AND the options. And to get that the price moves up even more.
For the gotta-have-it fully loaded buyer the fully loaded M is not even close in price to the fully loaded non M.
Those price points are vastly different, just as those cars are vastly different.

Getting an M is not the next bigger option to add to the non M.

BMW should not have named this car M235i. It should have been a 235i, and then add in the Msport options if you like.
Putting the "M" in the front of 235i is just marketing. It's not a M car, not even close. It's a 235i with an M sport package just like my
335i Msport. I have no delusions or expectations that I'm driving anything close to an M3, because it simply isn't.

BMW's current "M" marketing may be causing confusion at best, and at worst, for the uninitiated buyer, it may dilute what an M car really is.
It's not just an optional "M" package.
Appreciate 0