View Single Post
      03-21-2014, 02:38 AM   #69
PDX1er
Enlisted Member
Rep
Drives: '13 135i Mineral Grey

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wild_Will View Post
STI might lack in the refinement department but it's a lot of fun to drive and sounds very unique.

You always know it's a Boxer motor coming down the road with that Rollin thunder sound!
That is, until Subaru gets around to putting the 2L DI motor into the STi with EL headers. At which point it sounds like a Honda. This is basically an iteration on the 2011 STi. Obviously they can't get to 300+ HP safely on the new motor yet, so they offer up the same car with new body panels, some yesterday technology, and slightly stiffer bushings.

Don't get me wrong, I loved my STi. It's very easy to drive as there is almost no danger of oversteer and has a ton of mechanical grip. It has great brakes, a bulletproof gearbox, is very cheap to own, and hold their value if you live somewhere where they have actual seasons. But at it's core it's mostly unchanged from 2006! I mean, for racing between stoplights on your way to work, a 420HP 2015 Mustang GT is mighty tempting for the same money. The bang for buck argument kind of collapses for Subaru there unless you MUST have AWD.

For now the EJ lives on in my wife's Forester 2.5XT Touring where it belongs. A nearly perfect car for what it's designed for. I'll wait and see what Subaru does to redeem it's motorsport heritage, but the "new" STi is not it in my opinion.
Appreciate 0