View Single Post
      05-08-2013, 05:12 PM   #29
kevinlevrone
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 335i

Quote:
Originally Posted by Red Bread View Post
Well I think it's safe to say the M3/M4 will be highly tunable. I think there's a chance that the M2 may end up with something closer to the A45 motor that doesn't have as much opportunity for additional boost though. I just hope there's a sizable weight advantage of the M2 over the M235i and E82 135i, if they accomplish that, I'd drive it with an S14.
I don't think it's safe to say the next M3 will be highly tunable. It will be a 3-liter (maybe 3.2l) inline 6 engine with around 420 hp, which are quite high power levels for the displacement already and about the max that can be obtained today with tuning from these direct injected, high compression ratio engines on regular fuel. You can't add much more power than this with 91 octane fuel (and keep the high compression ratio and thus strong low-end torque), from my experience (unless they employ some 3rd electrical turbo to compensate on the low-end lost to a lower compression ratio).

As for the M235i, I expect the same power levels as today's F20 M135i, which is around 320hp from an N55 engine. This can be upped with tuning to around 370hp on pump gas.
Appreciate 0