scottp999
Brigadier General
Rep
Drives: 4runner SR5

Garage List
2007 BMW 335  [9.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chunner View Post
Who's data? The mfg promoting the dual intakes or in this case, afe? C'mon, the laws of physics changes for no man.
Pictures are gone from this old thread but the conclusions are still there. Bottom line, cold air intake pulling from the fender, or dual cone sitting by the engine, about an 8 degree difference with a $300 price difference. At higher horsepower levels the stock box became a choke point (>350 whp).

http://www.e90post.com/forums/showthread.php?t=262270

Quote:
OP, I'm not a fan of JB4 or any other piggy back tunes. IMO, piggyback tunes are just not sophisticated enough and/or rely on unreliable sensors like the knock sensor to increase fuel, advance or retard timing when boost dials up or down. Sometimes, things go wrong and you detonate.
Do you. Wait for straight flash. Combo piggy and flash seems to also work very well.

Quote:
OP, not to rain on your parade. When you break something and need it to bring it to BMW for service, just remember that your VIN may very well be flagged (whether you take out that piggy or not) and you might run the risk of voiding your beautiful new car warranty. I have seen it happen.
You sound just like the former owner of a local Dinan authorized shop who told me he had an engine in the back that blew up due to a piggy. About 45 min later when talking to the lead shop mechanic his story was that the engine hydro-locked from a cold air intake sucking in water.

I have never run Terry's BMS tunes, but I think there is nothing to worry about by running his piggy conservatively. Warranty being voided? Who knows. You pay to play. I've always avoided the dealers service area although I have used some of their best techs that are doing side weekend work, great independent shops, and enthusiasts that have great track records. YMMV.

Last edited by scottp999; 03-30-2014 at 09:10 AM..
Appreciate 0