12-19-2012, 12:47 AM   #92
Antares
First Lieutenant
Italy
Rep
Drives: dark-blue coupe

Quote:
Originally Posted by pkim1079 View Post
so the m235i will have 6 and the m2 will have 4? that is just retarded.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Evan135 View Post
from light weight subframes for the front and rear.
I think I heard the subframes will be out of aluminum which would improve chassis stiffness, and with the usual M suspension components in aluminum and maybe a few light weight body parts.
Technology and road-legends are two different things.
USA have a historic love for big displacement engines and V6, V8, V12 stickers. Only in USA it was possible to sell a sports car with a truck engine inside-Viper.

European market and mentality is more about engineering. You can make wonders with aggressive turbocharged engines. The engine is more responsive (less rotating mass), it easily operates in high revolutions/minute mode, it consumes less fuel.
Above all, one and same engine can present various operating modes; one car-multiple engines.
By turning a switch you can go from a performance sports cars that consumes lots of fuel, to a calm fuel efficient car that can be used for every day needs.

Modern automotive steels are far above aluminum; certain very expensive cars used aluminum since the boutique manufacturer did not have access to modern steel. Aluminum is also difficult to repair. Besides, a BMW feels solid even after long years of use; something aluminium does not guarantee.
Appreciate 0