Thread: 228i vs. M235i
View Single Post
      01-10-2015, 06:33 AM   #48
BMW F22
Major General
United_States
Rep
Drives: ///M235i

It really boils down to how you're going to option your car. If you're going to option a 228i to make it similar to an M235i, then you should go for the latter. If you're more about keeping it light and simple, then go with the 228i. The difference in power, while nice, isn't really that big of a deal for daily driving. The 228i has plenty of power in that regard.

I drive an M235i now but sometimes wonder if I should have gotten the 228i. The reason is that I don't do much spirited driving anymore, mainly just a commuter car. Sometimes I feel like it's such a waste to have such a sporty car only to be stuck in traffic almost every day. With that said, for the times when I do drive in the twisties or there's no traffic, the sound of that i6 and the power remind me of why I went with the M235i instead.

Again, really depends on options. The 228i is actually a bit more balanced in the turns.

Quote:
Originally Posted by vase330 View Post
Am looking to replace my 335i daily driver thinking I want a car thats a lot of fun wondering if I should step down to the 2-series. I drove 228i M-sport and M235i but none of the dealers had both so its hard to get an objective comparison. Also wondering if I should wait for the rumoured 240i, except I dont know when it is coming out. I have to say I was surprised by how nice the 2 felt right out of my E92 335i.
You should go test drive it and you'll have your answer. I came from an E90 335i and was looking into a 4 series (just wanted to change to a coupe). I wasn't planning on the 2. I actually didn't know there was a 2. I started looking into it and saw that it was coming out in a few weeks so I waited. The dealer called me with their first M235i on the lot. I came in to test drive it and was sold. It had the looks, the smaller size that I wanted (4 was too big IMO), the sportiness and handling that I missed when I drove an E46 ZHP many moons ago. So to answer your question: it is an UPGRADE over the 335i (at least IMO). Don't let the smaller series number fool you into believing it's a lesser car.
Appreciate 0