View Single Post
      04-15-2022, 03:09 PM   #10
Sleepless_Engineer
BLUE M235i
United_States
Rep
Drives: BMW M235i

Revisiting this thread: 2016 M235i, US spec.

Discovered my valve cover gasket has recently started leaking. Dealership repair would run 1600, but have some very knowledgeable contacts in the area including a certified BMW tech who can repair for much cheaper. But there does seem to be a lot of hype behind *specifically* the Blue Devil Oil Stop Leak. By reading MANY articles and reviews (easily over 100 at this point) and watching many videos including instructional ones from the manufacturer, it seems to work differently than most other stop leak oil additives. My understanding is it works by renewing the rubber seals chemically, rather than through plugging or swelling to fill cracks.

My question is: does anyone have direct knowledge of any risks associated with this particular product? Are there specific parts or areas of the N55 oil system that are prone to swelling even with this product? If so, is there risks of blockages due to swelling? Maybe seals losing proper contact area?

I ask because, although obviously repairing the VCG is the permanent (and more expensive) fix, the idea of refreshing and renewing other seals in the oil system that could fail soon sounds like a good idea for extending engine life. That is, if BD Oil Stop Leak is all it's cracked up to be.
Appreciate 0